Gundam Unicorn ep7 Thoughts
After several rewatches and thinking about it, here are my overall thoughts. It was good up until the 2nd half.
- The battle of grunts taking each other out, Unicorn vs Banshee, Banager taking out Full Frontal’s dandy.
- Stellar music throughout.
- The gorgeous animation of course.
- Unicorn using the shields as funnels
- Newtype BS. I understand how newtypes can create strange phenomenon but this is one of the biggest loads of crap I’ve seen. I raised an eyebrow when Full Frontal dragged Banana into this weird time travel thing. Then it became even weirder when Full Frontal’s MS dissolved and fades in gray. That’s not all though, after Unicorn & Banshee defends against Gryps 2, Unicorn bursts out in crystallized form then repaired automatically in an instant. Lastly, with a swing of an arm, all MS is disabled. Perfect newtype? What a load of bull.
- The lack of Full Frontal’s origin. Being a vessel is not gonna cut it. Anyone could be a vessel. It’s disappointing to see his regression towards the end there spouting out a bunch of generic bad guy nonsense to justify his actions. What happened to that guy anyways? Did the touch of spirit Lala and Char kill him?
- Alberto crying for Marida’s death made no sense to me. Since when did he care for her?
- The importance of Laplace’s box always had me head scratching because it keeps mentioning how it’s gonna change the tides of war. However, when it reveals what the thing actually is, I thought to myself… “that’s it?” One little article deleted from the monument. I look back in episode 1 and see the original article being broadcasted throughout the whole media before the colony went boom. It’d be unrealistic for that broadcast NOT to be recorded by some. I mean, EVERYONE WHO WATCHED IT ON TV IS A WITNESS! Does the ORIGINAL monument matter that much? How this became such a big deal to trigger conflicts here is beyond me. I mean the war between the zeons and the federations has already happened which renders the box meaningless.
- Full armor Unicorn hardly made a difference in battle.
- Unicorn doing tai chi moves on Neo Zeong was amusing and outta place.
In conclusion, I think of this simply as an extra to UC’s timeline. While it’s nice to see some of the returning characters from Gundam shows prior to this chronologically, the overall show really doesn’t mount to anything important because of F91 and V.
UPDATE: Funny story behind this. The episode first came out during Acen weekend, so a friend of mine brought his PS3 to the hotel room to watch it. Unfortunately, I had a panel to go to, so all I got was the first 30 min to view. When I came back from the panel, I asked if the episode was any good. They responded that it was the worst ending they’ve seen to any Gundam show. They said, “Everything was good up until you left the panel.” So I had to see it for myself but the first file I downloaded was in chinese subtitles. Even though I didn’t understand crap, my first complaint upon watching it was the whole newtype bullshit. Then finally, the translations came out, and wow… my buddies were right. Well, it wasn’t as bad as SEED Destiny’s and AGE’s ending but it was one hell of a letdown.